Soleimani’s killing: China tells Iran foreign minister that US should stop ‘abusing’ use of force

The us shouldn’t “abuse force” and instead seek solutions through dialogue, Chinese secretary of state Wang Yi said during a call together with his Iranian counterpart on Saturday.

“The dangerous US operation violates the essential norms of diplomacy and can aggravate regional tensions and turbulence,” Wang told Javad Zarif consistent with a press release by the Chinese foreign ministry, pertaining to the killing in Iraq on Friday of top Iranian commander Qasem Soleimani.

A US drone strike killed Soleimani — head of the Quds Force, Iran’s foreign operations arm — before dawn on Friday in Baghdad, an attack that has sparked fears of a regional war between Washington and Tehran.

 

Iran promised “severe revenge” in response, as variety of countries — including China — urged restraint.

“China opposes the utilization of force in diplomacy . there’s no answer for military means, nor for extreme pressure,” Wang said in his Saturday call with Zarif, consistent with the ministry.

China, a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council , may be a key partner of Tehran and major buyer of Iranian oil.

Iran, China and Russia held joint naval drills within the Indian Ocean and therefore the refore the Gulf of Oman last week and the Iranian secretary of state visited Beijing earlier in the week .

China and Russia also are parties to the 2015 nuclear affect Iran, from which US President Donald Trump withdrew in May last year.

France urges Iran to stay with nuclear accord
Meanwhile, France urged Tehran on Saturday to stay with the landmark nuclear accord in danger of falling apart.

French secretary of state Jean-Yves Le Drian said he had discussed the difficulty together with his Chinese and German colleagues, hoping to avoid escalation of an already intense stand-off between Iran and therefore the us .

“France fully shares with Germany the central objective of de-escalation and preservation of the Vienna (nuclear) accord,” Le Drian said during a statement.

With China, “we especially noted our agreement… to urge Iran to avoid any new violation of the Vienna accord,” he added.

Tehran recently announced that it might take an extra step faraway from the accord in early January and this was widely expected to be announced on Monday.

The European Union, which helped broker the 2015 deal, has been trying to stay the accord alive despite the US withdrawal, but analysts say that now looks increasingly unlikely after the US killed Maj Gen Soleimani, a key Iranian figure.

Zarif discusses Iran general’s killing with Qatar counterpart
Meanwhile, Zarif hosted his Qatari counterpart on Saturday for talks in Tehran amid escalating tensions.

Zarif and Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani discussed “the new situation in Iraq and therefore the assassination of General haj Qasem Soleimani” also as regional and international issues, Iran’s foreign ministry said during a statement.

In his meeting with the Qatari secretary of state , Zarif called the US attack a “terrorist act” that led to the “martyrdom” of the commander.

“Iran doesn’t want tension within the region, and it’s the presence and interference of foreign forces that cause instability, insecurity and increased tension in our sensitive region,” he said.

According to Iran’s foreign ministry, Thani said things within the region was sensitive and concerning. He involved a peaceful solution to be found resulting in de-escalation.

Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani also met with the Qatari secretary of state .

Qatar, a key US ally within the region, is home to Washington’s largest military base within the Middle East .

Its relationship with Shia-dominated Iran, seen because the major rival to Sunni-ruled Saudi Arabia within the region, is one among the main factors underpinning a crisis between Qatar and its former allies.

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt all cut ties with Qatar in 2017, accusing Doha of backing extremism and fostering ties with Iran, charges that Qatar denies.

Updated: 05/01/2020 — 2:47 am

The Author

Lotto Results

LottoResultsToday.net is the #1 lotto results website in the Philippines of World. This site is not in anyway connected or affiliated with Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO). Lottery game logos used on this site are either property of PCSO or part of the public domain.